September 1, 2021

Follow Up Visits & Covid19 Weirdness

REPOST from former blog My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©


April 14, 2020

Super Endocrinologist, Dr. Leah Folb! 
After this brief picture, we went back
to our Social Distancing!

Image: My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©
 

Yesterday I had a follow up visit with my awesome endocrinologist, and my super supportive amazing husband accompanied me to my appointment.

I had some anxiety about the appointment, because of all that has been going on with the COVID19virus scare.  We are still under  “Stay at Home”  and “Social Distancing” orders in Houston, Texas.  

We’re only supposed to get out for essential needs like groceries and supplies, doctor visits, and exercise (while still maintaining six feet of social distancing).   I have been very concerned about coming into contact with anyone who could be infected with COVID19 – whether they were aware or not.  I know that as a Type 2 Diabetic, that I am at risk.

The drive from our home in the suburbs, to the doctor’s office near the Texas Medical Center, was very pleasant.  We left our house at 9am, and the traffic on the freeway was extremely light – it felt like a Sunday morning. We made it to the office in about 30 minutes.  

The drive was pleasant, and as we exited the freeway, we drove past NRG Stadium where the Houston Texans play football.  The signs that usually direct event traffic were directing potential COVID19 patients to one of the virus testing site and temporary field hospital that has been erected outside of one of the event buildings.  

That was very strange, because the last event there was the famous Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR), which was cancelled mid rodeo because of the virus.  Some of Houston’s first COVID19 cases were attributed to someone attending one of the HLSR events – the BBQ Cookoff.    

We love going to the HLSR and hearing the concerts.  It was a favorite time of the year, when we lived in the Medical Center area.  The Trail Ride even passed our house one year on their way to the rodeo event area at the stadium.  That was so exciting and unique to watch. 

And of course, my husband and I both grew up with Go Texan Day. Dressing up like a cowboy or cowgirl are cherished childhood memories of every native Houstonian, and is also enjoyed by the adults! (Everyone loves a “jean day” at work!)

I love the area of Houston where my doctor’s office is located.  I lived not far from the office both as a child, and as an adult, so it’s very familiar and brings back all the good feels.  

Beautiful drive to the doctor, near Rice University.
Image: My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©

We drove alongside the bedroom community of West University Place, and through one of my favorite shopping areas - Rice Village.

The drive in town was very peaceful, with all the old trees that created a green canopy of new spring leaves over the street.  

Prior to my appointment, the doctor’s office called to confirm my appointment, and told me that patients would have temperatures checked before being allowed to take the elevators to their doctor’s offices.  

I was also told that each patient was allowed only one support person to accompany them to an appointment and to wear a mask to the appointment.  (Not that it made any difference for me, because I only have my husband who would go with me – we are empty nesters.)

We had already been wearing masks for a couple of weeks when going out, so it was a relief to know that everyone at the doctor’s office would be complying with the federal and local recommendations to wear masks in public.

Got temped before being allowed to enter the elevator.
Image: My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©

Sure enough, when we arrived at the appointment, as soon as we walked in the door, there was a table set up with a person to take our temperatures.  

We were asked if we had any fever, cough, or breathing problems.  Once we were temped and were able to answer no to the questions, then we were given a nifty yellow wrist band, and allowed to go up the elevator to the doctor's office.





Got a wrist band before being allowed to
enter the elevator.

Image: My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©


To protect well patients who have appointments, a satellite clinic has been set up on one of the upper floors, with separate parking and entrance areas, so that there is no contact between potential COVID19 patients and well patients.  

They also made it clear that patients must call ahead to screen for the satellite clinic – no walk-ins allowed.  

The appointment with my endocrinologist was so great and encouraging.  It’s so very important that you like your doctor and are able to build a positive rapport together.  Dr. Leah Folb is, beyond measure, the BEST doctor that I have ever had in my life.  She is positive and kind, while at the same time being very honest.  

She started off by asking how I had been feeling.  We talked about my weight (I’ve lost 27 lbs in the past five months).  She asked what I was doing to help lose the weight.  I told her that we have been being much more cognizant of what we are eating – no sugar, very low carb, high protein.  I told her my biggest struggle in the beginning was my sweet tooth.  

Dr. Folb then asked how did I compensate for that – I told her that I eat fresh fruit,  nuts, and I even told her about my favorite protein bar that I have for breakfast with my coffee – the Think peanut butter protein bar ( zero sugar, 20 grams of protein, and 21 carbs).  And I also told Dr. Folb that we’ve started eating smaller portions. 

She included my amazing husband in the conversation, as well. He was able to help remind me of some of the things that we have been doing to lose weight and get healthy. It’s good to have someone to help recall, as well as have an extra set of ears to help remember what we discussed in the visit, once we get home.   

We talked about how we have been working out at the gym by our house five days a week – but we also discussed the fact that since the virus started, the gym has been closed.  She encouraged me to at least do some daily walks to get moving.  Dr. Folb said that I’m doing all the right things to lose weight, and said that the exercise is what will help keep the glucose and A1C levels down.  She looked at my recent glucose levels on my Dario app, and said that she is pleased.  

Dr. Folb also explained to me how diabetics are at risk if they get the COVID19 virus.  She told me that the symptoms can be worse if a diabetic has uncontrolled diabetes because the body’s immune system is already compromised in how it responds to infections, due to inflammation already present as a result of poorly managed diabetes.  

While trying to fight a virus like COVID19, inflammation can increase from the virus, and the immune system can begin to attack the body itself.  

At this point, Dr. Folb said that my Type 2 diabetes appears to be well managed with my diet and exercise, and for now, I do not need any diabetes medications!!  Yay!!!  

She said she is very curious to see the new results of my bloodwork.  I am super curious, myself!!  She said that she thinks my A1C will be lowered, as well as my lipids (triglycerides and cholesterol). We are hoping to get my A1C down to around 5.4 – which will become my new “normal.” 

She did mention that my thyroid medication could be a little high, so that level was also checked – and if needed, she will adjust that medication. 

My blood pressure was great!  117/65!  (Or maybe 63 – I didn’t write that result down, and I should have).  It hasn’t been that good in a very long time.  

I asked Dr. Folb at this point, what my high and low thresholds should be for my glucose levels.  She told me that she would like to see my fasting glucose levels to hover around 105, and my after-meals level to be around 140.

Dr. Folb did mention something that I have been reading about, and I’m glad that she did say it to confirm that my research is correct, and that is the fact that I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  My diagnosis will never go away.  It is important for me to be careful about what I eat, and to continue exercising, in order to maintain a controlled disease.

My visit with her was almost 40 minutes.  Most doctors see you 10-15 minutes and then shuffle you out the door and go on to their next patient.  This visit with Dr. Folb left me encouraged, energized, and feeling self-confidant!  The lifestyle changes that my husband and I have made have been absolutely POSITIVE!  


I am excited to get the results of yesterday’s bloodwork sometime later this week.  Hoping and praying that the results are as positive and encouraging as the rest of the visit. 

Needles don’t scare me! Time for some
bloodwork so we can find out how I’m doing.  

Image: My Type 2 Diabetic Life ©

I go back to visit Dr. Folb in July, and I’m really looking forward to it.  I know it sounds crazy to be excited to go to the doctor, but I am.  

Once I get my results, I’ll write a new post to update you.

Thanks for stopping by to read my blog.  I hope that you’ll subscribe – top right corner of the page if on a desktop, and bottom of the post if using a mobile device.  

In the meantime, stay six feet away from everyone, wash your hands, live well, and be well!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and for taking time to share your thoughts. All comments are moderated by the blog owner, before being posted.